Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Oops. My bad.

Suddenly I realized that I never posted about Mockingjay.  Unfortunately, now the momentum and excitement has worn off, so I'll make this brief.

I finished this in one reading (of course), and it didn't disappoint.  Yeah, it lacks the same imaginative excitement as the first one, or even the second, but it's still good and tense and has you flipping pages.  The thing that struck me most though, was the ending.  How somber it was.  How there was redemption but it acknowledged that this was a world forever changed and that Katniss and her friends and family were also changed.  I won't give away the ending, but suffice to say that the hard-earned happy ending is not completely happy, because some regret remains, as do scars.  This is no Harry Potter ending.  I really appreciated this though, the realism of it.  I liked that it ended the best way it could, but was aware that something this terrible could not simply be wiped away.  For that I applaud Collins -- she doesn't talk down to her reader.

Yes.  I loved it.

0 drops:

Post a Comment