Thursday, May 7, 2009

Freaking Asian-American hilarity

I've decided to write my adolescent lit paper on Asian-American something or other. So I took out David Yoo's Girls for Breakfast from the library, not entirely certain what to expect.

Dude. I'm about 1/3 through it and it is effing HILARIOUS. I really didn't expect it to be this laugh-out-loud funny. But it really kinda is.

The book is about a Korean-American kid who lives in an all-white neighborhood and is obsessed with girls. No, like REALLY CRAZY OBSESSED in the funniest fucking way (excuse my french).

Okay I'm not done yet, so I won't say anything else, but just as an example of the silliness that makes me laugh:

Nick (the protag) has just been forced to go to Korean church-
Practically everyone's daughter was named Sunny or Grace, and every son was Billy or Franky. No one else was named Nick. I wondered if Koreans emulated Italian Mafia families on purpose.
--[pg. 98]


Nick has just been called a banana - yellow on the outside, white on the inside. He is confused by the classification of being called "yellow"-
My face felt like it was turning red. According to art class, if my skin really was yellow, that would mean my face was actually turning orange.
--[pg. 104]

Oh man, seriously, I'm already a total fan of Dave Yoo, even though I normally never read stuff like this. Okay, I'll be back when I'm done with this book.

0 drops:

Post a Comment