Friday, March 13, 2009

Guess I wasn't too good of a reader in 8th grade...

Okay I read Catcher in the Rye for my other class recently. It's the second time I've read this - the first time I was in 8th grade, and aside from the part about the carousel and the Museum of Natural History, I don't remember much of it, and those were the parts I remembered liking. I remember wondering what the big fuss about the book was because I was just eh about it.

Well, shows what kind of reader I was back in 8th grade. My little sister who is in 9th grade right now told me Catcher was "awesome" and that Salinger was a "genius". She read that book in 8th grade too, so clearly, she's the more precocious reader.

Anyway, there's no point in really doing a "review" on this book, really. But I just wanted to record that in my second, much more mature read, I actually really really enjoyed it. I thought it Holden was such a sympathetic, wonderful character. So full of longing and confusion and the need to belong. And I'm a real sucker for awkward adolescent boy characters (see my love of Oscar Wao). There's something so endearing and tragic about poor Holden. So yes, this time around, I absolutely adored it.

Also, the carousel and Natural History sections are still just as good as I remember them being. :)

That's all I wanted to say!

0 drops:

Post a Comment