Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Update on the WiP.

My new strategy is: pound out shitty, completely unfleshed out, unstyled scenes. In almost screenplay style. Just to get general dialogue, location and action down so I know what the hell is going on in my novel. I figure the sooner I have a collection of scenes to work with, the sooner I can go back, piece them together skillfully, and then rewrite them with the tone and attention to detail I usually give my writing.

No, I'm not adding any of this to my word count. I don't think this kind of crap deserves to be in the word count. Word count only counts my nice, thoughtful sequential chapter writing.

The thing is, I'm not a great outliner for creative writing. I rarely know exactly what's going to happen when or where until I'm about to write it. So I pretty much write on the fly and figure it out as I go along.

The problem with this is that when I'm working with three different interwoven points in time, it's really hard to put it together nicely. It's like a puzzle to me, the placement and juxtaposition of a backstory with a present story. And I can't do it when I don't know all the pieces I'm working with.

I'm also leaving out a HUGE element of uncanniness that I mean to insert at some point.


Things I'm trying to consciously avoid doing:
- Use adverbs
- Use my commas to control people's breathing.


God, I'm churning out absolute shit here, but it's the only way I know how this story turns out. Trying to let loose.


=edit=

Wow, that exercise really worked. 3500 "shit" words. I wrote out an entire line of my story (sort of), and honestly, it broke my heart so much, I cried while writing it. Hahahhaa. Yay!

3 drops:

writtenwyrdd said...

It's probably a wise thing to do, just write and don't stop to edit the crap, because that first draft really is more of a seed than a flower. I spend so much time rehashing that it's difficult to progress forward at all at times.

cindy said...

good for you! it's hard to turn off the editor, but YES you do need to revise and you need to write a novel first to revise. i must listen to my own advice...

moonrat said...

woohoo!! i KNEW you had an outliner in you!!

Post a Comment