Monday, November 24, 2008

Worst. Movie. Ever.

I went to see Twilight last night with a couple of friends. We had anticipated it highly, especially since both me and my girl friend thought Edward was dreamy. My guy friend also had read the book and had liked it, so we were all excited by the prospect of seeing it on screen.

Oh god. It was BAD.

I went in with low expectations because I'd heard it wasn't all that, but I figured that it'd be reasonably enjoyable, if campy.

It was so much worse than my expectations.

The first half of the movie was plagued with awkward moments and silences and bad conversation - thanks to a terrible screenplay and a bad acting job by Robert whats-his-face. It never gets better, and the last 20 minutes of the movie are somewhat bearable due to action. But beyond that, the movie is plagued with shortcomings in acting, makeup, special effects, screenwriting, editing, even poor musical choice. The whole thing feels very one note. My girl friend kept doing the face plant thing with her palm in her face, while my guy friend was sprawled out on his seat looking like he was being tortured. The best thing, as my friend said, about the movie was its topiary. Which was quite pretty. Everything else was AWFUL.

It's too bad. It could have been a great movie, but it seriously WAS NOT.

Do not waste your money on this movie. Really.

5 drops:

moonrat said...

oh, so... kinda like the book, then.

woops! did i say that?

Cap'n Miffy said...

actually the movie was quite inspiring... made me want to be a landscaper when i grow up. :p

cindy said...

moonie, haha!

and miffy, hahaha!

yeah...it was slightly painful in moments. i agree, it really is too bad. BUT many people LOVED it. i'm not sold on edward casting...nor bella. tho edward matters most. =)

Maria said...

Ok...we are going to have to agree to disagree. I liked the movie. I liked the book as well, although I thought that the first book was pretty bad and only read it to appease my niece who begged me to read it so we could talk about it. I got really sick of reading over and over again about Edward's quirky sweet smile. A friend of mine is an editor in NY and she had actually read the manuscript and panned it and now is kicking herself HARD. But, she and I both agreed that the book was less than.

I thought the movie was actually pretty excellent in that it did exactly what it set out to do. The writer of the screenplay (and I believe it was the same writer who does DEXTER, yes?) was under tight binds because the author had final approval and I thought that showed a bit, but otherwise I thought it was nicely done. I don't think that acting was terrible, it wasn't wonderful, but hardly terrible. Actually, the man who played Jasper was excellent, although his part was tiny. I had some real problems with the woman who played Bella. I kept seeing "I am acting, I am playing a part" all over her scenes. But, Robert Pattinson did a good job, I thought. I liked several nuances in the movie that played over from the book (the tucking of Bella's hair into her hat, the use of the word "google" which was supposed to sound just weird coming out of his mouth) and wondered if they were directorial direction or an actor's choice.

All in all, boy howdy...we differ. For a teen movie, I thought it had legs.

Ello said...

I picked up Twiight and couldn't get into it. Just couldn't. And then once moonie said she didn't like it, well that was enough for me. It explained why I couldn't get into it. So I have no desire to see the movie at all.

Poor you. I hate spending that much money and wasting that much time.

Post a Comment