Thursday, August 21, 2008

The danger of series.

I spent the past few days finishing off Kushiel's Chosen, the next book in the Kushiel's series. The problem with sci-fi/fantasy is that it's nearly always a series, which means that I'm always compelled to keep reading. And before you know it, you haven't read anything else except for every book in that series.

In any case, I just finished the second book in this trilogy (there's one more, which I started today and then the next three are a generation later). It wasn't as confusing as the first, since now I know the characters and politics and backstory, though I must confess that sometimes I still got a bit confused by the politics and had to reread. I felt the beginning was a little bit slower than the first book, but the second half was really good and satisfying.

There was also a lot less sex and violent sex at that, which I was sort of grateful for, even if it diminished who she is by nature, or rather, it wasn't as big of a plot element as it had been in the first book.

I liked it though, especially the twist and reveal of the plot.

There's not much more to say than that. I'm excited for the third book because they're FINALLY doing what I wanted them to do since the first book - go back for Hyacinthe, my very favorite character! Hooray!

1 drops:

Vivian said...

Off topic: When do you start at San Diego, Angelle?

Post a Comment