Wednesday, July 9, 2008

One man's fight to help change the world.

A good friend of mine gave me a copy of Three Cups of Tea, saying that it was now among her favorite books.  After The Killing Fields, I was in a non-fiction, world issues kind of mood, so it seemed like a good time to read the book.  Couple that with the fact that the book is about building schools in less fortunate places, and here I was, in Vietnam, teaching English and working in orphanages for less fortunate children, and it seemed perfect.

The story is really incredible, following one guy's dream and determination to build a school for a village he comes across in his failure to climb a mountain, to everything he has to go through to continue to build schools for similar villages across Pakistan and Afghanistan.  I admire his endurance, determination, bravery, and I also admire his family (wife's)'s ability to cope with his long absences and fears for his life.  The kind of difference he has made upon these people is incredible, and I find it so noble that he has devoted his life to this and continued to try so hard in the face of difficulty.  I don't think I would have had the resilience to do so.

Also, I think his belief, that we can fight terrorism through education, is so insightful.  Ignorance breeds hate, so his insistence upon providing balanced education is such a smart one.  

Definitely worth a read.  So inspirational.

0 drops:

Post a Comment