Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Good but not as good.

I was really excited by Yiddish Policemen's Union.  I really enjoyed Kavalier and Clay and I know Moonrat LOVED YPU, so I definitely dove into the book with enthusiasm.

I have to say, I didn't like it as much as I liked K&C.  Partly, I think that reading in fits & starts while traveling probably didn't help (I read half of it in a coffee shop in Siem Reap, 1/4 in a shitty guesthouse, and the rest on airplanes), but also, I liked the epic scope of K&C more, not to mention the heartbreak factor.  Nonetheless, YPU was still really great.

As always, Chabon's use of language is MESMERIZING.  At one point at the airport, I stopped and had to read a passage outloud to my friend, in the way he described one of the characters (the father of the dead kid, can't remember the name now).  I am constantly blown away by the inventiveness and freshness of his descriptions.

I also love Chabon's fascination with truly flawed characters (well, male characters), and their own fascination with each other within the context of his world.

The premise of this book is original and creative, an interesting mystery at the heart of it, while tackling some other bigger "issues".  I have to say though, I was dissatisfied with the ending.

I don't know.  Maybe my one reason for not loving this book as much is that while I was constantly entertained and captivated by Chabon's skills from an objective standpoint, I was never reeled in as much as I was for K&C.  I never cared about the characters as much as I did in K&C.  Still though, a really good book, and definitely worth reading.

1 drops:

moonrat said...

i read YPU first, so i wonder which i would have liked better if i hadn't?

can't say. i heart michael.

Post a Comment