Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Allende disappoints.

Okay let's start with Zorro.  [I'm probably going to zip through these fast, because I'm impatient and I also no longer have most of the books since I left them in Vietnam.]

I'd read Allende's short stories in class before, and liked her, so I was excited to read this book.  To tell you the truth, I was pretty disappointed by the book.  It wasn't ever BAD, it just was never that good.  Maybe part of it is that I never saw the Zorro movies, and only know the Zorro legend through hearsay.  So I wasn't that captivated by the tale she wove.  I mean, the writing is good, I just found myself going through the whole thing and not really caring all that much.  The villain never raised the stakes high enough for me, and the end point never seemed to matter that much.  I don't know.  When I finished it, I left the book at a guesthouse in Siem Reap, Cambodia, the first book I'd ever left behind.  It just wasn't worth it to carry it all the way back to NY again.

0 drops:

Post a Comment