Thursday, April 3, 2008

Oh boy.

There's an interesting debate going on at Paper Cuts around the merits of an MFA right now. To tell you the truth, I held off applying to MFAs for a very long time because I always figured writing was something you could get done WITHOUT a degree. I didn't know if I wanted to put myself into all that debt. I worried about getting my voice pounded out of me, "normalized" if you will.

I can't really tell you what made me change my mind. But maybe it's the fact that the question was always there. Always hanging. And I wanted to buy myself time to write. I never wanted to get too old and wonder if I should have gone back to school. And I'm a good student. I'd get something out of it.

Well, this debate makes me nervous. I wonder if I'm doing the right thing - putting myself into tens of thousands (hundreds maybe even) of dollars into debt.

I don't know. But I'm taking this leap.

http://papercuts.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/01/cinderella-schools-for-writers/

1 drops:

cyn said...

do what you believe in and feels right. and i think you've thought long and hard and some quiet time to study the craft is what you want and need.

Post a Comment