Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Mine is Mitch Albom.

Also, I love this entry on Paper Cuts about "Literary Dealbreakers".

I wonder a lot if I can seriously see myself with someone who doesn't read with similar ferocity as I do, or at least be willing to read some of what I do, because I love to discuss books with people. Younger, I didn't date guys who did read. And back then, it wasn't that important because I hadn't figured out yet how amazing it was to be around people who did read. Now that I'm older and this is basically what I want to do with my life, it seems to matter quite a bit.

But what's worse? A guy who doesn't read, or a guy who reads something you find abhorrent?

I try to keep an open mind about what people read. And so I don't mind if the guy doesn't necessarily read "literary". Like his favorites are thrillers, mysteries, sci-fi? Okay, that's cool. I like those too sometimes. But I think a dealbreaker for me is 1) unwillingness to even give my favorite books a go and 2) if his favorite book is by Mitch Albom.

I hate Mitch Albom. I hate him because he uses a gimmick and it WORKS. How do I know he works? Look on my shelf with all the A authors. Yeah. He's there. A couple of his books. I know what I'm getting into when I buy those books and yet I still did. After the third one, I was like, NEVER AGAIN! And I just think to have him as a favorite author is just.. well, I'm not saying the books aren't mildly entertaining (mildly), but a FAVORITE? Really? I feel like Mitch Albom is packaged inspiration with agenda for people who don't actually read.

I actually find it suspect when people say their favorite book is The Alchemist too. Not because it wasn't a good book, it was - it just wasn't AMAZING like everyone raves. I can't help but think that it appeals and resonates strongly with certain types of people - and in my experience, not necessarily people I'm highly compatible with. Also, after reading a few other Coehlo, I have a sneaking suspicion he's turning into an author who writes "deep" books for people who don't read also.

Oh. And people who immediately write off Nabakov and Lolita. The kind of people that won't read it at all but cringe and make judgments when I tell them it's one of my favorite books. That infuriates me.

What about you?

0 drops:

Post a Comment