Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I shake my fist at you, Michael Chabon!

I've been slowly making my way through Kavalier and Clay. Quietly, which is why I haven't posted much.

Something I meant to write about was the chapter with Carl Ebling, how it starts out comic book-esque, and you think you're reading another synopsis of one of the books, and then halfway through you realize it's the deranged thoughts of a crazy terrorist. Thought that was awesome, and don't know I'd ever have gotten away with it. Brilliant.

But what I really wanted to say [SPOILER!] is that I was filled with anger and hatred towards Michael Chabon when he killed off Thomas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UGH! I mean in every sort of nicest way possible of course. It was necessary and I see that, as a writer, I think it was absolutely the best thing he could have done for his novel, but as a reader, I was filled with anger, the way you shake your fist at God. Sigh.

I like the book a lot -- a lot of poignant, heartbreaking moments when you don't expect them. His writing isn't nostalgic, and yet it gets you at the right moments. Which amazes me. I don't know how he does it. I don't lovelovelove it, but it's a really good read so far.

About 3/4 of the way through. Will be done soon.

0 drops:

Post a Comment