Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Trying to get back on track...

I'm trying to emerge from my bubble of mourning and move on. It's truly difficult since I'm knee deep in planning Super Bowl activities for my job. I'm definitely going to be in Phoenix the days leading up to the Super Bowl and there's a slight possibility I might even get to go. It's hard, because well, I keep thinking how awesome it'd be to go to a Cowboys Super Bowl. If everything had gone the way it was to be expected, that's what should have happened.... I suppose if you're not a football fan, it's hard to understand the devastation that this loss has caused, nor can you understand why this was truly heartbreaking. But trust me, when I say I feel like I just broke up with a boyfriend or my dog just died... I'm kind of meaning it. I've been walking around aimlessly for a few days and avoiding all the sports pages and blogs. Sigh.

But anyway, must keep trucking. Life moves on.

Cyn, to answer your question, I did send out my SL application via fedex overnight on Monday morning. I didn't do a close proof, nor did I do any major revisions of what I'd managed to finish up on Sunday morning, but to tell you the truth, I just couldn't get myself to care. I was in a haze all Monday, still smarting from the loss. This may come back and bite me in the ass, and if I don't get in, I may blame myself heartily for not paying closer attention. But it should be in Bronxville by now. So. Cross fingers.

I have an entry on Diving Bell and the Butterfly coming soon. I saw it last Friday (for now to be known as "that Friday before that game"), and I had comments. Unfortunately, it's going to have to wait until I'm in better spirits, since right now I'm struggling to remember the things I wanted to say.

Yeah, I'm a loser.

9 drops:

David L. McAfee said...

I feel ya, Angelle. I really do. I've been in a poor mood all week.

Tha morning radio host here is still talking about TO's teary speesh. They even inserted some sound bites from it into that 70's song It's All Right To Cry and played it on the radio.

Geez, let it go, guys.

I talked to my brother in Dallas yesterday, and somewhere between trying to get me to move back to the Big D and asking when we were going to come visit he clued me in the the general feeling over there.

That feeling is...a big blue funk.

Ah, well...nothing like having millions of people share your sadness with you.

Yep...I'm a loser, too.

Josephine Damian said...

Angelle, is SL Sarah Lawrence? I applied there years back when I was a sophomore - if I had a brain in my head I would have gone through with the transfer, but didn't.

I hope it works out for you.

angelle said...

david:

Here's the link on the Osi/DWare friendship. I thought it was really cute when I read it last Saturday. Now I just wonder what Osi said to DWare after the game. Interesting.

Man, I wouldn't mind being in Dallas right now instead of NY. At least in Dallas you don't have to pretend like you're okay and be prideful in the face of a bunch of crazy Manhattanites. There I could freely mourn in public and have people to share my sadness, hahaha. I've never been to Dallas, btw, can you believe it?

Ugh the media circus around the Cowboys is nuts. People are absolutely right to call the Cowboys the Yankees of the NFL. I don't see anyone making a big deal over the other big upset of that night -- the Colts. I'll bet someone shed a few tears over there too (maybe not in a press conference but...). The media circus just loves to get on the Cowboys' asses.

Speaking of, now they're all calling Romo the guy who can't win in big games. How quickly people forget how long it took for Peyton to get his own SB ring, but now that he has, he's beloved by all. Who doesn't have a warm feeling whenever they think of Peyton Manning? I've yet to come across anyone who dislikes him.

Josephine: Yes, SL is Sarah Lawrence. One of the schools I applied to for MFA. I actually wouldn't mind going there, although I do have a craving to be on the West Coast. But we'll see.

angelle said...

also, david, curious, do you live in maine right now? or where you at, exactly?

cyn said...

angelle, no worries. it's out of your hands now. and you did it! =) yay!

David L. McAfee said...

Angelle,

That article was great. I loved it. Thanks.

I lived in Dallas back in the early 90’s (when Aikman, Irvin, and Smith ruled the football world). I loved it there, and I miss it a lot. Before that I lived in Texarkana, TX, which is where my dad retired to when he left the Air Force. That’s where I grew up.

Now I live in Knoxville, TN. Sooner or later, we’ll probably move back to New England (even though I’d rather go back to TX) because my wife’s family is all in Maine. Which means I will spend the second half of my life surrounded by Pats fans.

*sigh*

Still, we went there for Christmas and there were a few spots of light. Here and there I saw other people in Cowboys attire (I think I saw 4 the whole time). But thankfully, not a single Eagles fan could be seen. There is that, I suppose.

It’s true. The media loves to pick on the Cowboys. It’s partly because, of all 32 teams, the Cowboys consistently rank in the top 5 for the most popular team in the NFL, most of the time in the top 2 or 3. They have also won more games since they started in 1960 than any other NFL team during that period, so Dallas fans tend to have high expectations.

As for Romo…how many players have had that stigma (not being able to win a big game) before him? Hmmm….Brett Favre? Oh, wait, he did win on.Uh…Peyton Manning? Oh, yeah…he won one, too. Come to think of it, how long ago was it that Eli had never won a playoff game and NYG fans were jumping on the "Eli can't win a big game" bandwagon? Wasn't that just last year? Funny how that works, huh? ;)

Romo is no different. If anything, he's one of the best in the league right now (top 4 at the very, very least), and he's still relatively new to starting QB duties. I was watching some Romo highlights from 2007, and, barring a few games in December, the man played phenominally well, and he just got better and better all year long. Don't worry, he’ll get his SB ring. Might take a year or two, but he will.

I can’t wait!

Ello said...

I'm sorry Angelle, I feel for you, I really do! I am not a regular follower of football and tend to prefer college ball rather than professional for football and basketball anyway. (However, diehard Yankee fan!) I am a lukewarm Giants fan and hubby is a big Redskins fan. But one thing I can totally relate with you on is how much I hate the New England Patriots, smug bastards. Can't stand them.

I hope you feel better soon!

angelle said...

David: Wow, how did you end up in Knoxville? How interesting. So no love for the Titans then? Maine's nice, though up so north, I'd imagine kind of cold. Must be a big change from Texas. I'm imagining being surrounded by rabid Pats fans for the rest of my life and uh... no.

I'm so glad to hear about Garrett. I was nervous. It's about time we got some good news. And we might get Hudson Houck too. Hmm.

I can't wait... for our Boys to show everyone up and get that Super Bowl ring. I think the media is partly to blame for all this craziness. Give the kid a break... after two years (one year as a fulltime starter) you're going to start telling him, he can't win one? Geez. I can't wait for the day we win our Super Bowl.

I'm slowly (slowly) getting over Sunday. Still sort of hurts, but I'm looking forward to next season, and the draft. Hoping to see some strong new players to add onto our roster, and hopefully we see a new, rejuvenated team...

Btw, I can't seem to escape media pick up on all of this though. Pick on the Colts! Leave my Boys alone! I'm just antsy for pre-season now. My life feels so empty without a Cowboys game to clear my schedule for this weekend. *sigh*

Ello: Yankees all the way (okay, I don't really follow baseball at all, but I think if I did, I'd root for the Yankees, so who am I kidding. David's bosox fan, that much I remember.) College ball -- which schools? Haha, at least we all hate the Patriots....

David L. McAfee said...

Angelle,

My ex wife and I moved to Knoxville shortly after our daughter was born. In retrospect, I wish we’d stayed in TX, but my brother and several good friends had recently moved to TN, so we just kinda followed them here. Now my brother is back in TX and I’m stuck in Titans/Colts country. Everyone out here is in love with Peyton Manning because he was the star QB for UT, so now they root for Indy. But the Titans gained a lot of respect in their early years in TN (they used to be the Houston Oilers), so folks ‘round these parts root for them, too.

For me, both teams are just kinda…M’eh. I don’t like ‘em, but I don’t dislike ‘em. My wife thinks Vince Young is hot, though (she also thinks Romo is the best looking QB in the NFL, which surprised me…I thought she’d say Tom Brady).

I’m over Sunday. My short attention span and natural cheerfulness make it hard for me to dwell on depressing things, especially in light of Jason Garret’s decision to stay in Dallas (I’ll take my good news where I can get it) and my anticipation for the 2008 draft. We have TWO first round picks this year, so it oughtta be good.

So all told I’m ok with Sunday’s heartbreaker…now, anyway. But then, I’m not in Big Blue Country, either. I feel for ya. I really do. And I agree…the Colts loss was just as much of an upset. If anything, it was moreso, as the Colts are the defending SB champs and San Diego beat them without L.T. But the Cowboys get all the ugliness. It’s normal. All part of being a Cowboys fan.

Hey, you remembered. BoSox! I’m not as big a fan of Baseball as I am football, but I do like those BoSox. It all started when I heard about the Curse (of the Bambino)…I wanted to see them get over it and win. They finally did. I was happy.

I just reminded myself that New Englanders are having a nice run, sports-wise. Pats are winning and Sox are winning. Reminds me of a few years back in Dallas when the Cowboys were winning, the Dallas Stars (hockey), was winning and the Dallas Mavericks were winning. It was a nice time to be a Texan.

Post a Comment