Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A beat too late but oh well.

I had so many things to say today but I really just had no time. Obviously by now you've all heard about the finalists for National Book Awards, which of course includes my girl Danticat's memoir Brother, I'm Dying which I really enjoyed. Also on the list is Denis Johnson's Tree of Smoke which I've been trying to resist buying in hardback and wait for the paperback (though I just don't know if I can wait that long... if it weren't a million pages maybe I would just cave and get it).

Some other pretty notable authors on there too, though I haven't read anything else (my sister owns Hugo Cabret which my mom heard about on some morning show and bought for her. She has not touched it, in fact it is sitting on my ground.)

Oh hell, here it is, in case you live in a cave:

Fiction
Mischa Berlinski, Fieldwork
Lydia Davis, Varieties of Disturbance
Joshua Ferris, Then We Came to the End
Denis Johnson, Tree of Smoke
Jim Shepard, Like You'd Understand, Anyway

Nonfiction
Edwidge Danticat, Brother, I'm Dying
Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
Woody Holton, Unruly Americans and the Origins of the Constitution
Arnold Rampersad, Ralph Ellison: A Biography
Tim Weiner, Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA

Poetry
Linda Gregerson, Magnetic North
Robert Hass, Time and Materials
David Kirby, The House on Boulevard St.
Stanley Plumly, Old Heart
Ellen Bryant Voigt, Messenger: New and Selected Poems 1976-2006

Young People's Literature
Sherman Alexie, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
Kathleen Duey, Skin Hunger: A Resurrection of Magic, Book One
M. Sindy Felin, Touching Snow
Brian Selznick, The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Sara Zarr, Story of a Girl

Dammit. I had something else book-related to say today and now I've completely forgotten...

1 drops:

moonrat said...

i've decided i'm boycotting "tomes" (to borrow your turn of phrase). going forward, my enthusiasm for a book will be inversely proportional to the number of its pages. over 400 pages will be "right out" unless i have some pressing outside need to read it.

Post a Comment