Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Some Roth reading.

With the publication of Philip Roth's final Zuckerman novel, Exit Ghost, New York mag this week has a couple of articles dedicated to him. One, about the novel itself (and penises... whoa, using that word probably ensures that I get a lot more creepy people who turn up my blog in their searches of "dress up poop"), and one which is a complete run-through of all his novels, which is probably useful to people looking to read him.

I did a review on here of American Pastoral once, basically to say that I was slightly disappointed. It was good, but it wasn't great and I had expected great. I don't know if it's because I read it wrong or I was being too nitpicky, but ultimately, I couldn't shake the nagging question of why Zuckerman had to be involved in this story at all! I think maybe, without that, I would have enjoyed the book a touch more.

Anyway though, the point is, it's like an end of an era or something because Roth is no longer using his alter-ego Zuckerman. One day I'm going to get around to reading another book of his, and perhaps I will like him a little more. But for now, I have too many other books to get through.

0 drops:

Post a Comment