Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Please stop with the wallowing.

I'm reading Prep right now, which is a book I personally probably never would have picked up because it looks like chicklit to me, but my coworker lent it to me so I feel like I have to, especially because she said it was good and well written.

Now, I don't know if it's just because I've had a rough couple of days with my manager (who is really pissing the flying shit out of me) but I'm finding the narrator of the book incredibly annoying. I'm kind of like, buck-up! Stop second guessing yourself! Can you please stop being so incredibly needy and pathetic? I feel like she might be a tad more sympathetic if there were just a little more snark in her, but the way it's written, she's just so... SAD. Her writing style reminds me, at points, of Plath without the skill with descriptions, but I don't find her character particularly sympathetic. I mean, at some point, I really want her to just get over herself and grow up.

But maybe I'm just cranky.

I have other things to say, but right now I'm too tired.

By the way, despite the annoyingness of the character, I still kinda want to know what happens. It's not a complete wash.

2 drops:

moonrat said...

hahahaha. keep us updated.

writtenwyrdd said...

I hate books with really self-absorbed and whiny characters. Especially when the rest of the book catches my interest.

Post a Comment