Saturday, September 22, 2007

My bookshelves are a mess.

I want to rearrange my bookshelf, but it would be a tremendous undertaking. Not only do I only have two bookshelves with books stacked every which way, I have all sorts of books on them, including my entire (ancient) collection of the Little House series, Babysitters Club books, hardbacks of books my mom read in her 20s (I don't even know what the hell they are), all my psych textbooks from college, dozens of books I read as a kid, picture books of folk tales, and assorted miscellany.

I don't believe in throwing out books (unless it's so terrible that I hate it, but even then, it pains me to actually toss it) so that wouldn't happen either.

But I kind of wish I could find the books I love with greater ease! As of right now, things are stacked in order of size, one in front of the other... finding old books I loved requires rummaging through levels and stacks and a tetris-like production.

Hmmm.... I really just need about two more bookshelves.

6 drops:

Maria said...

I have several boxes of books in my basement as well as four bookcases in my office and even then, I run out of space and have to get another box and start filling it....

But, nothing is better than books.

moonrat said...

alphabetize!!

angelle said...

i've thought about alphabetizing, but then i thought, if i get new books i'll have to spend time shifting everything over to place the new ones! i know, i'm a spaz.

vivian said...

Yes, alphabetize by author, within categories. I have Novels, Short Stories, Nonfiction, Poetry, Plays, Biographies, etc. You can decide what works for you. I have an entire wall in my living/dining room with built-in bookshelves, and I still have novels and story collections stacked up on shelves that are also holding vases and other things like that. No one ever has enough room for books. Every once in a while I weed things out, but I don't throw them out, usually, I give them to my local public library, which holds periodic book sales.

vivian said...

What are the books your mom read in her 20s?

vivian said...

And speaking of books, I just posted my own What to Read Next List as a comment on the "What should I read next?" post on Moonrat's blog. I just want you to know that Diaz's new novel will probably end up on my list, thereby exacerbating my book-purchasing addiction. Too many books. Not enough time.

Post a Comment