Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Let's take a moment here.

Seems like this is the first year that Sept. 11 isn't a big deal. Last year was huge - the 5th year and all - but this year, you'd hardly know it. Maybe this city is finally finally moving on. Maybe it was kinda like, after 5 years, we need to go on with our lives.

I was reading reports on NY Mag and GalleyCat - things like WTC postcards don't sell anymore, and people aren't that into 9/11 fiction (compared to real history, understandably). I haven't read DeLillo's Falling Man, but I haven't really heard great things about it.

I actually don't think I've read much 9/11 fiction. The only one that comes to mind for me is JSF's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, which I did love, and flipped the falling man flipbook in the back with a morbid fascination. For the most part though, maybe it's because the events are a little too raw, too close to home, that any fictional account doesn't seem to do it justice. Maybe in decades, it'll be a great setting for historical fiction, but for someone who lived through the events, lived in NYC at the time, remembers that day with a crystalline clarity, the fascination is with the fact that this was real. Being there at the time, watching it on TV... it felt like watching a movie. Listening to the newscasts unfold, stories of people lost, miracles of those who saved - it's like fiction but not. What makes 9/11 so heartbreaking to us all is the reality of the event, and right now, I feel like we're much too close to it for fiction to come close to making as meaningful of an impact. Later, maybe. Fiction has its place later. Later, to capture the essence for those who didn't live through it, for those of us whose memory of it has faded and when the images of the planes zipping through the towers in a big ball of fire isn't in itself don't still make us gasp and choke up. [No matter how many times I see that footage, I feel my heart lurch and hurt everytime it happens. Inside, there's still a part of me that thinks maybe this time it won't happen.]

Six years feels so long ago, and then again, yet not.

2 drops:

moonrat said...

yeah. i know what you mean.

i haven't decided whether i should post on my blog or not... like, will people judge me if i don't post about it? but i really dont want to. humm.

writtenwyrdd said...

It's healthy to move on. Doesn't mean you forget the horror of it.

I cannot believe there is such a thing as 9/11 fiction. Eck.

Post a Comment