Wednesday, September 26, 2007

It's a strange land, but it might just be America...

New York Mag's Vulture blog does a regular feature which is basically a comic excerpt from a graphic novel. I generally skip these entries because I have so many to read through and I'm not a comic/graphic novel fan (plus the loading graphics would give me away to my coworkers). Today's however, I am actually intrigued by. It is from The Arrival, by Shaun Tan.

The visuals are beautiful, and from this excerpt you really see what this immigration process is like. I mean, I'm assuming the land they're arriving to is purely fictional, but it could just as easily have been Ellis Island. There are no words, but maybe it's because it's too hard to understand what the hell is going on. No one understands each other. The symbols are so meaningless. Maybe it's because I've been thinking a lot about the whole immigration process recently, in part because of the Danticat memoir, but I just see a lot of potential in this excerpt. So I might just check it out.

0 drops:

Post a Comment