Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I was falling asleep last night while reading, that's probably why.

Finished New York Trilogy last night. As for "The Locked Room" -- not sure how I felt about it. It was the least absurd and most linear of the three, and yet I kinda liked the strangeness of the first two. This last one seemed so real and yet not, that I wasn't sure I gave into it the way I did with the other two.

One thing to note: Fanshawe says, "If you try to find me, I'll kill you". Maybe he didn't mean it this way, but our protagonist almost really does get killed in the process of trying to find Fanshawe, through no faculty of Fanshawe's (or maybe there was...). Funny. Crazy.

I feel like the last one was supposed to tie up the pieces of the first two together, make some grand point about who we are, how we find ourselves, etc. The pieces were there, but I'll confess that by the time I got to the end of "The Locked Room", I was too tired and lazy to try to ponder how they all came together. Again, I missed the absurdity of the first two pieces - I found the format actually lent itself to analysis and made it easy for me to think about the themes. Maybe I'm just too lazy, but "The Locked Room" was, in format, too traditional in form for me to want to put in the extra effort to peel back the layers. So ultimately, while I liked it, I came out wondering what the big picture was, struggled for a second to put it together, and then decided my pillow was much more inviting.

I liked it though, I did. Though I did feel Auster was at times a bit self-indulgent in his intellectual/existential blathering. But nonetheless, still pretty good.

Anyone who wants to enlighten me though, feel free to do so. I'm way too tired today to try to think it up myself.

0 drops:

Post a Comment