Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Changing the key plot twist kinda takes everything away.

I watched the movie version of Everything is Illuminated this weekend. I must say I was disappointed. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't that great, and I definitely felt like the key plot change didn't work all that well. I think maybe what makes JSF great on paper doesn't necessarily translate well on screen. If you read my earlier posts, I was very ehhh about Everything is Illuminated, particularly because I had loved Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. The whole thing felt very gimmicky, and it took me a VERY long time to get through. The old history pages were nice, but I wasn't particularly rah-rah crazy about them. And yet, by the time I got to the very end, I was aching for the characters.

What I loved most about the book was the end, the revelation of what Alex's grandfather had done. The whole, "he's not a bad man" thing. The final realization by Alex of reality, of how things are going to be. It was so sad, so touching. And the movie was missing this. Somehow, none of it could hit home the way the book did. Plus, I just didn't get the plot change, and how that exactly worked.

So. Okay, the movie is decent, oh, although Elijah Wood's Frodo eyes really bother me. But the book is much, much better.

2 drops:

moonrat said...

absolutely. "i killed my best friend" =/="i am a jew." oops.

it also bothered me that the whole ancient history was cut out. i don't know how they would have made it work in movie form, but.

you know JSF was in the movie, right? mowing the lawn in the cemetery scene in the beginning. i think that was his way of giving the revision his endorsement.

it was a visually pleasing movie, at least. i didn't hate the movie at all; it was a different animal. but obviously the book was much, much richer.

angelle said...

oh i heard that but i didn't know exactly where. i'll have to go back and look.

i mean yeah, it was a decent movie. it was just... not as good as the book. i mean change all the other elements but how can you take THAT away?!!??!? and it makes the whole suicide thing a lot more "huh???" and by the way, how is it that he got shot but then just stood up and walked away.

Post a Comment