Monday, September 3, 2007

And I finished it at the beach too!

After the depressing (but incredibly wonderful and beautiful) Farming of Bones, I needed something fun, fast and easy to lift my spirits. So what better to read than Stardust?

Of course, reading a book after you've seen the movie always changes things slightly. You keep expecting certain scenes to pop-up, you think you know how it ends, all of it. What I liked most was the fact that, really, the book is completely different than the movie.

I mean, okay, the premise is the same, but each stands as its own story. The details have pretty much been changed, and the movie takes a lot of liberties with the plot. I won't say I liked one better than the other, because it was so different in ways, that I thought both were awesome. Neil Gaiman's original is fun and humourous in its own way, and is pretty satisfying on all fronts. I like how things are divided, and although I couldn't get Claire Danes and Charlie Cox out of my mind the whole time I was reading it, it was so sweet and fun that I breezed right through it. An adult fairytale for sure. Positively delightful.

I do have to say that, having read the original, I have to applaud the people who adapted this into a screenplay, for making the movie wholly their own while retaining the premise and heart of the story. I might feel a little different had I read the book first and believed it was cannon (like I never really like when they change things too much fundamentally in the HP movies), but having seen the movie first, and liking it, and then reading the book, and liking it, I think it's a pretty successful example of converting a book into a film without being word-for-word, and yet still making it something that stands alone.

By the way, I just noticed now that in the book his name is "Tristran", which is a million times harder to pronounce than "Tristan" as it is in the movie....

5 drops:

moonrat said...

hmmm, interesting. i was going to skip it because i'd already seen the movie but now perhaps i won't.

cyn said...

i know someone who hated the film because she had loved the book. funny, i saw the movie as a date night this past saturday. i thought it was entertaining, if not a bit...fluffy? princess bride it was not.

i just started on the book yesterday, but will finish it in the uk. i'm a bit read out from deeds of paks by e moon, which was over 1000 pages. great fantasy book, tho.

Maria said...

I liked the movie. It came to us on a sultry August night and we really needed to dance around the stars a bit.

The only movie that I have ever seen that I thought was nearly as good as the book was To Kill A Mockingbird.

I'm that person who is always walking out of the theatre bitching that the movie couldn't touch the book....

Maria said...

I liked the movie. It came to us on a sultry August night and we really needed to dance around the stars a bit.

The only movie that I have ever seen that I thought was nearly as good as the book was To Kill A Mockingbird.

I'm that person who is always walking out of the theatre bitching that the movie couldn't touch the book....

Maprilynne said...

*le sigh* LOVED Stardust! I want to see the movie so bad . . . but three kids, including a new baby, are not vey helpful with that particular goal . . .:)

Post a Comment