Sunday, August 19, 2007

Skills with diarrhea.

Sylvia Plath is awesome. I'm only a little more than 50 pages in, but she's got a great knack for interesting descriptions. Her avocados are vibrant, her vodka is ethereal, and it's all just fabulous.

A line I really like, because I love sleep descriptions:

Slowly I swam up from the bottom of a black sleep.
--[pg. 51, The Bell Jar]


Simple, but hits it right on the nose.

But of all things I was most impressed by? Diarrhea! It's difficult to describe something so distasteful without being graphic, and yet still capturing all the discomfort of it.

I sat on the toilet and leaned my head over the edge of the washbowl and I thought I was losing my guts and my dinner both. The sickness rolled through me in great waves. After each wave it would fade away and leave me limp as a wet leaf and shivering all over and then I would feel it rising up in me again, and the glittering white torture chamber tiles under my feet and over my head and on all four sides closed in and squeezed me to pieces.
--[pg. 36, The Bell Jar]


Hee hee. Doesn't that make you squirm a little? So perfect in capturing the pain that often comes with a bout of stomach poisoning, without being graphic in the actual output.


[Those people who arrive at my site by way of poop searches... this probably doesn't help get rid of you, does it?]

This novel is nice and short so I hope to be done with it soon. But I'm really enjoying it so far!

1 drops:

moonrat said...

yeah, she's awesome.

my favorite poem is Metaphors, because I think it's so damn clever:

Metaphors

I'm a riddle in nine syllables,
An elephant, a ponderous house,
A melon strolling on two tendrils.
O red fruit, ivory, fine timbers!
This loaf's big with its yeasty rising.
Money's new-minted in this fat purse.
I'm a means, a stage, a cow in calf.
I've eaten a bag of green apples,
Boarded the train there's no getting off.

Post a Comment