Thursday, August 30, 2007

NY Mag fall preview psychs me up.

Holy shit, the past two days have been crazy. I love working in healthcare, but sometimes all the red tape can be maddening. That's when I escape into a good book.......

I was reading the Fall preview issue of New York Magazine on the bus this morning, and I got REALLY excited. So many good tibits!!!! So many good readings!!! Happy things for the bookishly inclined!!! [I am losing my mind, if you haven't been able to tell.]

Okay, I'll do a separate readings post, but in the meanwhile, a little line-up of the things I wanted to highlight from my reading today:

- Love in the Time of Cholera is finally becoming a movie! I had no idea. Out November 16.
- Interview with stars from movie version of No Country for Old Men
- NY Public Library is exhibiting manuscripts and pictures and stuff for the 50th anniversary of On the Road
- Short article on Philip Roth's last Zuckerman novel, Exit Ghost
- I just can't wait for Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon
-
I agree with their anticipation index on Denis Johnson's Tree of Smoke
-
Nice article on Junot Diaz and his book that's been 10 years in the making (The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao)
- Tibit on Edwidge Danticat's new memoir, Brother, I'm Dying as a sidebar to the Diaz story

I just want to finish this by quoting from that last article, something Diaz says that I also feel to be true:

Because in the end, writing for him is well worth the torture: “When I talk to people I’m such a dumbass,” he says. “When I enter that higher-order space that’s required to write, I’m a better human. For whatever my writing is, wherever it’s ranked, it definitely is the one place that I get to be beautiful.”

Right now I hate Blogger because it won't let me tag everything.

0 drops:

Post a Comment