Saturday, August 18, 2007

I just remembered...

So a little while back, I went to go hear Nicole Krauss and JSF read at a little bookstore in Brooklyn. If you've read my earlier entries, you'll know that I have a fairly unnatural obsession with them. Okay, maybe not unnatural. It's just that I'd like to be them. A couple of writers, married, living in Park Slope, with a kid and a dog. Oh, and not just any writers, but young, acclaimed writers. I don't know, maybe it's not glamorous or anything (right, because winning literary awards isn't cool or anything), but it's the kind of life I'd like for myself in my ideal world (well, my ideal world also includes winning the lottery so I never have to worry about money ever again - I did buy a ticket for the megamillions today!).

Anyway, besides the point. At this reading, Nicole read from a short story of hers called "From the Desk of Daniel Varsky". Read aloud in her quiet, affected voice, the little excerpt caught me the way I think good writing should. What can I say? For all the hype/criticism/controversy, I do love her.

Well, it was set to be in the June issue of Harper's. I actually went so far as to pick it up when I was waiting on line at Whole Foods. But then I looked at the price tag and thought how silly it was for me to buy a magazine just for one story.

Well, now I want that story. :(

2 drops:

moonrat said...

not to worry... it will probably be published in Best American Short Stories 2007 or whatever. she's friends with David Eggers, right?

angelle said...

yes. I believe she is.

Post a Comment