Tuesday, August 7, 2007

And by the way, aren't longlists supposed to be... well, longer than this?

Man Booker longlist posted today [thanks galleycat]:

Darkmans - Nicola Barker
Self Help - Edward Docx
The Gift Of Rain - Tan Twan Eng
The Gathering - Anne Enright
The Reluctant Fundamentalist - Mohsin Hamid
The Welsh Girl - Peter Ho Davies
Mister Pip - Lloyd Jones
Gifted - Nikita Lalwani
On Chesil Beach - Ian McEwan
What Was Lost - Catherine O'Flynn
Consolation - Michael Redhill
Animal's People - Indra Sinha
Winnie & Wolf - A.N. Wilson

It's moments like these I feel like a bit of a sham because, beyond Ian McEwan and The Reluctant Fundamentalist, I don't recognize ANY of these books OR authors. It's shameful, I know. I'm not a pseudo-intellectual, I'm a pseudo-literati. Sadness. It's moments like these that I realize there are just way too many books in this world for me to read, and, not being part of some literati circle makes it difficult for me to keep up with all of these books.

Okay, but seriously. Someone tell me - have you read any of these books? Were they any good?

I have to admit, I read last year's winner, The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai (my first book read this year), and I wasn't all too impressed. So I'm not sure a Man Booker winner seal would necessarily be any sort of tipping point for me to pick up a book and read it. But at the same time, a literature prize as well regarded as that is still something to note. So. What say you?

1 drops:

moonrat said...

i haven't read ANY of these. that makes us BOTH shams. sigh.

Post a Comment