Sunday, July 22, 2007

Courtesy of Vivian.

I'm sort of braindead and frazzled right now, having messed up my sleeping schedule. I have tons I want to say about the Potter book, but I'm trying to hold it in for now, though, Moonrat, if you don't hurry up, I might just have to go ahead and review while it's still fresh in my mind. I give you until tomorrow!

In the meantime, Vivian picked up a copy of the book I mentioned my mom was reading, The Emperor of Ocean Park, which I haven't read myself. For interested parties, I thought you might like to know the things she had to say about this book (posted in my comments, but reposted here for ease):

So, while we're waiting for THE WORD from angelle, let's take a break and consider something other than Harry Potter for a minute. I just finished The Emperor of Ocean Park, and I liked it. It's about a hundred pages shorter than the Deathly Hallows, but I think it probably could have been even shorter without hurting anything; Carter is kind of wordy. But once you get used to the voice of the narrator, it does move right along. It's a good, complex story, with interesting characters, and the puzzle pieces are presented in a slow, satisfying way--and are put together one or two at a time, instead of being dumped on the reader all at once, in the last few pages. It's also a thoughtful book that explores the ideas of right and wrong, and doesn't necessarily give the answers--or an ending--the reader might expect. Worth the effort, I think.


So there you have it. Sounds like your atypical mystery. I like thoughtful. I may have to borrow my mom's copy myself. Thanks Vivian!

0 drops:

Post a Comment