Monday, July 2, 2007

...and we're back!

I'm back. Didn't get so much writing or reading done, but I slept 12 hours a day and baked in the sun for a whole week and ate a lot. [Hello, gym.] I have a funny blotchy tan on my chest due to uneven coverage of new continuous spray sunscreen. I never want to see another crab again for awhile (my mom and her two sisters massacred 7 dozen crabs in one sitting one night). I didn't have to do anything I didn't want to. No obligations. Now THAT'S vacation. Came back and went straight to a wonderful performance of Swan Lake by my favorite ballet company in the world, danced by my favorite male dancer ever... and today it's back to work.

While there, I wrote nothing except for two pages of something that struck me at 2 am the night before leaving (I typed it in the dark while my mom slept in the bed next to me). I read 7 of J.D. Salinger's short stories, a good number of the ones from Miranda July's collection No One Belongs Here More Than You, a bunch from issues 1 and 2 of Upstreet literary journal. No more progress on Miller made. I'll blog about some of these stories later.

Things that happened while I was gone -

- Movie version of Evening (Susan Minot) hit theaters - I haven't seen but I want to!
- Annie Dillard's new and apparently final novel (and piece of writing ever, according to her), The Maytrees hit the shelves recieving all sorts of acclaim
- Lisa See's Peony in Love came out - I was really disappointed by Snow Flower and the Secret Fan so I might just skip this one

I'm sure I'm missing other things here, but I confess I skimmed through all my normal avenues for book news because the amounts of print available for me to read was overwhelming.

More later, but I wanted to post because I know Moonrat missed me sooooooo much. Now I have to attack the 200 emails in my work inbox, then worry about the personal emails I have to catch up on, not to mention start writing and reading again to compensate for my slacker-dom. Good thing July 4th break is Wednesday. :)

5 drops:

moonrat said...

yay you're back!!!

and yay Nine Stories!!

Live@theGrouchoClub said...

Upstreet is made around where I live...are you from the Berkshires?

And, how was Miranda July's book? I wanted to read it badly but couldn't find it in local stores. I knew after I saw Me and You and Everyone We Know that she'd be one to watch.

angelle said...

Not from the Berkshires, no. But Vivian Dorsel, the editor, was kind enough to send me a couple of copies for review (will post about the journal later).

And the Miranda July is wonderful. Strange, but she's got her own little voice. I'll post about that later too. Just been so tied up with catch-up since I've been back that I haven't had the chance!

vivian said...

Hey, angelle, welcome back! [and double yay for Nine Stories, too] Glad you had a chance to read some of upstreet when you were gone. I owe you an email, but upstreet 3 came out a week ago Friday, and I've been running flat out trying to get everything done.

I loved Miranda July's story in The NYer; it's the first thing of hers I've read--on your recommendation, btw.

Now I'm wondering who my Berkshire neighbor @thegrouchoclub is; do I know you?

angelle said...

Vivian - I owe you an email too! But I've been busy with catch-up to fully sit down and give it the proper attention it deserves... no worries, and congrats on the new issue coming out!

Post a Comment