Sunday, June 17, 2007

Um, I'm sorry, but I got a little lazy with this.

I finished No Country For Old Men. A few days ago. The reason I haven't posted yet was because 1) I finished it at 3 am 2) I'm still chewing on it. I don't really know what to say about it. Other than what I've already said. There were some passages in there towards the end that I really had to think about, that gave me pause - about life, and fatality and other things. I wanted to have something intelligent to say here, but I'm a little at a loss. [There's also just a lot of stuff going on around me right now.]

Craft-wise, I think I've already said I found it a tad confusing. Back and forth, not really sure who we were focusing on, etc. And man, what a bloody book.

I liked it. I didn't love it, but I liked it. McCarthy is a really good writer, but I guess the subject of the matter wasn't that interesting to me, and while I cared what happened, I just didn't care enough, or rather, I wasn't made to care enough to make up for my lukewarm-ness of the subject. Don't get me wrong. I thought it was well-written, I still think McCarthy really makes you think about things, and has a style of prose that is unlike anything else I've read. I love his style. I love his writing, his descriptions. How the whole thing occurred in slow-mo, even when it was an action sequence. I guess the plot itself wasn't all that compelling to me.

BUT. I still want to read Blood Meridian anyway. I also have a feeling I was reading this book during a period of time when I was feeling a little too burnt out to be reading it.

By the way, though, there were some really sweet, touching passages in there with the sheriff and the way he talks about his wife. And the end with his uncle. Part of the things I wanted to talk about but currently am too braindead to do. I'm sorry. I totally got lazy and am not doing this book justice. If I have time, I'll do a re-post.

Next book? Not sure yet. I may take a break and do something easy, something I can just fly through without really thinking. We'll see.

1 drops:

moonrat said...

13th Tale? Have you read?

Post a Comment