Thursday, June 21, 2007

Is this book publicity for people who don't read?

So, I guess book publicists are really trying to find new ways to get word out there. Become internet savvy and all that.

I read on this blog that Simon & Schuster has started this website to publicize their books... but --- through videos.

I remember now, also reading about how Ian McEwan had a trailer going for his newest book. A BOOK trailer!

I don't know what to make of this. Are we becoming that ADHD that in order to convince people to read, we have to entice them with videos? There's something slightly ironic in there I think. "Watch a video on why you should read this book!" I don't know, I find that kind of funny.

It's not a bad idea though. I haven't watched any of the videos on BookVideos.tv (I'm currently taking a break from the crazy to-dos I have at work) but they look like they're author interviews, and in this day and age, people love to get their hands on "extras" like these. If a book had a dvd with multimedia extras, I bet people would love it (well, there's a bad idea for you). Apparently these videos are also on youtube, which means it will show up on google searches and technorati searches and the like for people looking for stuff on their favorite author's newest book.

I'd be interested to see the marketing department's reports though, of how site traffic and youtube views impact bottom-line sales. [I think I've mentioned before that I've worked on a viral marketing campaign that also involved videos. At the end of the day, that's seriously all the brand managers are doing. Some fancy calculation that shows conversion from click-throughs to sales.]

Okay back to being a cube slave.

2 drops:

moonrat said...

yeah. heh heh. did i tell you how my publicist taped me last week to put an interview with me about a particular title as a clip on the blog? that's right. "chat with the editor" (and/or author) promotional videos. go to my company's blog to witness the horrific truth.

angelle said...

omg. okay. i am going to hop on over there very soon and check it out. too bad we try to keep ourselves [somewhat] anonymous here. otherwise i'd publicize the crap out of it and embarass you forever.

Post a Comment