Monday, May 21, 2007

What? It's FICTION? Give me a refund NOW!

Um. Really?

Courtesy of NYMag:
Random to Pay Frey Readers $2.35 Million: Settlement approved by federal judge in class-action suit will force Random House to pay $2.35 million to readers upset by James Frey's falsehoods in A Million Little Pieces. Rebate applicants must tear out page 163 in their copy of the book and send it in; we'll be at the Strand, tearing page 163 out of every used copy we can find. [PW]

I don't know how I feel about this. So a guy writes a "memoir" that fits better into "fiction", and readers who feel "defrauded" can get a rebate? I mean. REALLY? I'm sorry, but if you are that offended and feel that duped by a silly book, you need a life. Perhaps some people just have their emotions and well-being tied up in the books they've read. Personally, I was upset when I found out that Dumbledore died at the end of HP (um, sorry if you haven't read that yet), maybe I should give J.K. Rowling a ring and demand her to pay for the therapist I've hired to help me get over this mess. No, I'm serious, I don't think I've recovered from the shock of it all. And James Frey, how dare you make all of those readers feel stupid for having believed you! Shame on you! You hyperbolic liar! I haven't read your book yet, but I'm sure if I did, I would feel downright outraged by the end when I realize you've lied to me! And when that happens, you can be sure I'm tearing out page 163 in self-righteous rage and mailing it in for my bloody rebate! Because I expected a MEMOIR and I hate fiction, I do! Ugh, it changes everything.

No seriously. What is this world coming to.

1 drops:

moonrat said...

...dumb as this may sound, this is ACTUALLY how i felt at the end of Memoirs of a Geisha...

Post a Comment