Friday, May 25, 2007

My sin, my soul.

Final post before I disappear into the wilderness for 4 days. [Okay, it's "luxury" camping supposedly, but the melodrama is more fun, no?] I finished Ghostwritten last night at 4 am, but I'll have to re-read parts of it and mull to piece the puzzle together better, so I'll wait until I come back to review.

In the meanwhile, my new book for this trip. Lolita. [Yes, I'm behind in my classics.] Which has singularly the most beautiful and compellingly written first paragraph of any novel I've ever opened:

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.

-- [pg 1, Lolita]


Certainly famous, but it captivates me every single time. Long before I even owned the book, this paragraph caught me when I opened up its cover in Barnes, dozens of times. Call me crazy, I relish saying this paragraph outloud to myself (and you can believe that I've got it pretty much memorized), letting the words roll of my tongue slowly, hearing how they punch the air. A beautiful little example of a perfect first paragraph, incredibly lyrical, poetic, rhythmic, onomatopoeic (is that a word?) and some awesome alliteration (which some people hate, but I'm a sucker for). How I aspire towards something this wonderful.

So I hope the rest of it does this first paragraph justice. I'm behind in my reading, apparently. But I can't wait. Not your typically "camping" novel, but what the heck.

Happy Memorial Day weekend, all.

1 drops:

C. Dappen said...

I, too, found that first paragraph to be quite incredible.

I've recently reached the conclusion that Russian writers are just simply brilliant.

Post a Comment