Thursday, May 17, 2007

Ishiguro comforts me.

I just started reading When We Were Orphans last night. Opening the book made me so excited - I don't know why, but I love starting a new book, feeling its new pages. Again, this is why I don't like library books. I like the newness of a book, the freshness of it. Something about it is wonderful to me.

I don't know what it is about Ishiguro, but his writing, even though so British and formal, it really comforts me. There's something comforting about sinking into an Ishiguro novel, something plush and rich about it. Reading his words, I'm seriously elsewhere, and it's so completely him.

Interesting though - after reading Remains of the Day, I'm completely distrustful of the narrator's perception of events. It's part of Ishiguro's draw though, he's keeping me hopping and constantly aware of the psychology of the narrator, constantly aware of every word that comes out of his mouth onto the page. I take nothing for granted in his writing. Smart. That's amazing that he is able to make me do that. [How do I become a writer as smart as him? Someone tell me please!]

The other thing I want to see unfold is how he deals with the Sino-Japanese War and the British relations to China. I'll go to war on this if he paints Britain or Japan as too sympathetic here. After reading Last Empress, I am not happy about the invasion of China (not like I ever was before). It should be interesting considering he is a British-Japanese. I'm crossing my fingers it's dealt with delicately, because I'd hate to stop loving him as much for such a personal reason, but it could happen.

Anyway, only 50 pages in, so we'll see where it goes from here!

2 drops:

C. Dappen said...

Do you read/like poetry too?

moonrat said...

i LOVE that book.

Post a Comment