Friday, May 11, 2007

Granta's Young American Writers reading.

[I apologize in advance if this makes no sense whatsoever. I'm writing this on very little sleep and alcohol in my system for the first time in 3 months.]

I ended up making the Granta reading last night. Some good stuff. Nicole Krauss read from a piece that is coming out in a future edition of Harper's, and JSF some little thing he wrote about a grandmother that was funny and fun and used some Yiddish racial slur. The other readers were pretty good too, got to talk to a couple of them, even though I didn't know any of them. One guy (I forget his name right now) read a little bit from an upcoming novel dealing with a schizophrenic boy whose mission is, apparently, to get laid. Hahah. I totally want to read that. JSF is a tiny tiny guy, btw, I was surprised. Super small and skinny. Nicole Krauss is really pretty and incredibly sweet.

I totally got starstruck going up to Nicole afterwards to get my edition of History of Love signed. I rambled, as I'm prone to do when nervous, about everything and nothing and how inspiring she was to me, to a point where she held out her hand and grabbed my arm, and was like, "It's okay..." because I was getting sooo jittery. I get like this around the weirdest people - not big star celebrities but writers I admire and celebrity chefs (eg: Eric Ripert). With Nicole it was no different. I really wanted to say something intelligent and well-thought-out to her to tell her exactly how much I loved her book and how much it meant to me, but there's a reason I'm a writer and not someone who's great with oral communication. It gets all jumbled when I have to think about things on the spot. But anyway, I left the reading SUPER HAPPY and skipping on the streets of Cobble Hill.

JSF seemed incredibly aloof, by the way. I wonder what their marriage is like. But I really enjoyed his piece that he read, and of course, I'm in love with both of his books. He's such an unconventional writer, and I really appreciate that about him.

Man, I'm such a groupie.

I feel like I should have something more intelligent to say, but I really don't (most likely due to my cracked out state of mind right now). I guess the only thing is that meeting writers like them make me want to try harder.

But I was super super super happy. :)

3 drops:

moonrat said...

I'm so glad you got to go!! I didn't want to be the girl who tells you that going to see an author you love read is more important than spending time with your family who are visiting from China, but...yeah. I was thinking it. Really loudly.

angelle said...

haha yes. well lucky for me, i did BOTH.

C. Dappen said...

If I reach the point where I'm doing readings and my fans are so nervous to talk to me that they jumble their words/speak with less eloquence than they might normally, I will be incredibly humbled. The reading I just did was followed by a rather good question which I probably, in my own nervousness, completely butchered. I keep going over and over my answer thinking of better things I could have said.

Those nerves of yours could have done nothing but good in her presence. I'm sure she was incredibly flattered. Readers like yourself are the people she will cherish and remember as her fans and the ones whose lives she has made a difference in. As a writer, I imagine that's the best feeling in the world.

Post a Comment