Monday, April 16, 2007

The Pulitzer goes to...

Cormac McCarthy just won the Pulitzer Prize for his book The Road. I am so happy for him.

This book, in many ways, for personal reasons, saved me from cynicism and despair this weekend as I read it. I have read many books that have touched me and stirred my emotions, but this is the first time I've read a book that felt opportune, like it saved me from a drowning pit. Of course, my little experience isn't why it won, but I think the book is a work of incredible beauty, intelligence, vision. And it's a damn good piece of literature too. Now, I would never be so arrogant to even think I could ever write a novel of this achievement, but this work is definitely something I read and remember why I want to be a writer in the first place.

I am so excited for him. So happy. So incredibly happy. Almost as happy as if the work were my own. I can't explain why, it just does. It's hard to move on to another book after reading his, although I am trying. But. Seriously. Congratulations, Mr. McCarthy. Well-deserved, incredibly well-deserved. If I could do for one person what you did for me this weekend, I would consider my goal as a writer met.

0 drops:

Post a Comment