Friday, April 20, 2007

I have a literary chip on my shoulder.

The Pen World Voices festival is next week, and there's soooo many lists of events. I feel like I should go to a few, but going through the schedule of events, I realize: I don't know 90% of these writers!

This is when that chip on my shoulder kicks in. I feel woefully not well-read for someone who claims to love literature and wants to be a writer. I think this is part of the reason I feel so pressured these days, because I feel like how can I possibly break into a market where I don't know what I'm up against? These are the people who are acclaimed of their generation - I need a standard to hold myself to, and yet I haven't read any of them. Makes me feel really behind on things, and that's why I've been trying to read voraciously, trying to get through at least a book a week, if not more (last week I finished three, this week I've been only on one). I feel a lot of pressure these days, self-induced pressure I guess. I feel like I have such a long way to go to get to where I want to be, and I'm not nearly close enough. Maybe part of the reason I feel so pressured too, is because I feel like I should have some of this figured out by 30 (or at least have made some headway) - because that's when I want to start having kids, and god knows how much time I can devote to this once I have a family - and 5 years is not long to go at all.

In any case, though, with so many events at this festival going on, I feel like I should go to one or two, maybe on a topic that interests me, even if I haven't read the book yet (though I'd hate to go to something where I don't feel prepared because I have no idea what the authors are writing about??). I've been pretty good about going to these things alone, too. But, if there's anyone who loves literature and wants to go to an event with me, give me a holler. There are a couple of writers I've read, but not very many, so if anyone has heard of any of the people on this list that they are particularly fond of, I'll go out and read a book of theirs this weekend to prepare for this. :)

Pen World Voices 2007.

0 drops:

Post a Comment