Monday, April 9, 2007

Beginnings.

So I started a blog, just to keep track of the books I'm reading. Why, you might ask? Well, that's a very simple question with a slightly longer answer.

The first answer is this: I wanted to keep track of all the books I was reading, had yet to read, wanted to read, saw in a bookstore and thought I might read. Blogspot is handy with lists. So here I am. As you can see, I went all anal (as I'm prone to do) and broke it up into categories.

The long answer though is something more in the line of - I want to be a writer, and as a writer, I believe that I need to read voraciously, even more so than I do now, in order to make sure I not only keep up with my (soon-to-be) contemporaries, but also to understand how the highly acclaimed classics worked. Having forgone the English major route for a Psych route in college, I feel quite a bit behind on my reading of classics. So now I'm trying to make up for it, intermingle my pleasure reading with a bit of classic/essential literature here and there. Unfortunately, I feel completely overwhelmed and like I'm not reading nearly fast enough to get through the hundreds of books I feel like I need to get through. This list hopefully will help me get a little more organized about what I need to read.

I also have this bad tendency to um. Forget a lot of the books I read after I'm done. So I figured I'll be a good girl and ponder each book that I read after I'm done, like having my own book club. Maybe pull out a couple of passages here that inspire me or particularly touch me. Just so that I can pull up a post months down the line and be like, what did I like about this book? Oh... right... Haven't decided yet if I should be doing this as I go along or only when I'm done. Wrote a little today about my current read, Jonathan Safran Foer's Everything is Illuminated. But maybe I'll see how I feel when I'm done.

Anyway, I highly doubt anyone except for me will care about my ramblings on books, but if anyone has suggestions, please let me know. A book I picked up today, The Master and Margarita, was suggested to me by a tall beautiful woman with a wonderful European accent, after I told her to pick up Time-Traveler's Wife. Unfortunately, this book will have to get in queue with the other 10 books I have lying on my bedside table, still unread....

Next up is The Last Empress which I need to fly through in order to finish before Anchee Min's reading next Tuesday. Which means Safran Foer needs to be done ASAP...

Okay kiddos. Let's see how this goes. But I must say, I feel so relieved to have this list so well organized. At least I can see the hundreds of books that I must get through someday.

1 drops:

Jiffy said...

I just finished Life of Pi. It's so difficult to try and finish a book when all the time you get to read is the 30 min train ride to and from work.

Post a Comment